Postings & Ponderings: Adho Mukha Svanasana
For this month’s Postings & Ponderings, we’re featuring Adho Mukha Svanasana.
Adho Mukha Svanasana is a great example of a holistic pose. In this one asana, you truly get a bit of everything. You work your legs, arms, provide traction for your spine, and you even reap the benefits of being inverted. It’s also highly accessible.
Not only can it be practiced just about anywhere, but it’s a pose that many learn early on in their yoga pursuits. Both beginner and experienced practitioners often find that Adho Mukha Svanasana is an invaluable part of their yoga practice.
Practicing Adho Mukha Svanasana can offer many benefits:
- Lengthens the spine;
- Strengthens the muscles of the chest, increasing lung capacity;
- Brings strength throughout the body especially the arms, shoulders, legs, & feet;
- Facilitates muscle tone;
- Increases circulation to the brain;
- Calms the mind and rejuvenates the body;
- Helps to relieve headaches, insomnia, back pain, & fatigue;
- Helps prevent osteoporosis;
- Improves digestion
Ready to add Adho Mukha Svanasana to your home practice? Download our fact sheet for instructions on how to get into the asana and what to do once you are there.
P.S. Interested in even more info about Adho Mukha Svanasana, specifically some additional variations you can try at home? Check out Stephanie’s YogaBound blog post, ‘An Adho Mukha Svanasana for Every Occasion’.